I can't believe that December whizzed by without much thought to home decor blogging. The holiday season always puts things on hold. I have to make up for that with a good summary of what 2016 holds in design trends for the home.
How do I know what to write about trends? A good question for sure. Knowledge comes from a lot of reading and looking and being a good synthesizer.
A trend is never for one year; all I have to do is look back at what I wrote last year to realize that everything still holds true. When I write about trends I like to write about broader patterns I notice in home decor that I feel have some staying power.
There's nothing earth shattering to report for 2016, but there's usually not major shifts.
Plants and plant motifs bring the outside in
Pastels are still creeping in usually mixed with soft whites
Adding texture using organic materials
Warm metals in accessories, fixtures and lighting
Dramatic walls and rooms
- geometric patterning
- nature inspired motifs especially florals
- reclaimed/eco-friendly material
- wire framed furniture and lighting
- use of mixed materials in furniture ( marble and wood, metal and wood etc. )
- global inclusiveness ( products from different cultures)
- highly patterned tile
- artisan products ( hand made)
- nude pink and deeper blues.